Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Jumping in Feet First.

Things are rolling right along with the new job, new farm, new house, and new roomate. My Director position with Fields to Families has been keeping me happily busy but most of all, it has been great practice in the art of letting go. Since I can only work 20 hours a week, I have to simply embrace that I cannot finish it all and know that it will be waiting for me the following week. Yet even with the time contraints, I am already feeling pretty productive. Beyond the general office work, email checking, and call returning, I have also helped with the Day of Caring event (click the pic below to see all the action)...

as well as working the Farmer's Market pick-ups...


and attended the volunteer appreciation party...

On the days that I am not working with F2F, I am back on the farm... working in McClellandville, SC on Thornhill farms. It is a beautiful organic farm that also serves as a host site for Adaptive Gardens and McCrady's Garden. As part of the Growing New Farmers "Grower's Group" program, we actually ended up on the farm for a lesson and some dinner.

Matt Frye picking some Red Russian Kale


McCrady's Sean Brock working the filets. If only I ate fish. Damn.

In addition to all of this, I spend my nights slowly unpacking boxes and moving myself in. Daniel and I found a place together by Hampton Park that is perfect for us... the apartment is spacious and bright but most importantly it has an epic backyard. I just borrowed a tiller from Lowcountry Community Gardens and in the next week we will have the beginnings our own urban farm! What can I say... I love playing in the dirt :-)

1 comment:

  1. !I love you Nik and Dan! Glad to hear the news! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete